Friday, January 7, 2011

Post #5

I like the section that talked about the “deny and minimize” because it seemed to make an effort to meet the privileged half way. As I’m reading this chapter, my heads nodding in agreement, because I can pull up conversations I’ve had in the past with white friend of mine, I identify as black, and talking to them about race. I’ve heard them say that there is no racism in Vermont, it’s in other states. I have a lot of incidents in the past where I would catch friends or teachers, practicing what I call, blind racism. But that particular incident I let pass. Can’t get them all, but now I’m aware.
            The one that was really hard to swallow, because it exposed my male privilege, was the “sick and tired” strategy. I remember having a conversation with one of my gal pals about comedians that I enjoyed. She listened and pointed out they were all men. So I named a few women to stay in her favor, but I can’t deny that apart of me felt annoyed because I thought she was whining. However, reading this chapter, I realize it was my privilege of male dominance she was exposing. So good for her and good for me. I think what can interrupt the cycle of oppression in the future is questioning that oppression, but also the privileges.
            In chapter 6, Johnson states how the path of least resistance being the easier one to follow. “Resistance can take many forms, ranging from mild disapproval to being fired from a job, beaten up, run out of town, imprisoned, tortured, or killed (Johnson 81).” Being bullied for resisting oppression is difficult, because resisting oppression goes against conversational norm. I’ve done it with my friends. Each time it has been uncomfortable. So while I can relate to stopping it in my own life, I understand why others don’t do the same in there’s. It’s scary.   
    

No comments:

Post a Comment