Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Video Treatment Write up


The Topic

How are black people positively and negatively portrayed in the united states through film (film being television or movies)? This research will range from the beginning to the end of the 20th century

Story

Present the positive and negative portrayals of black in American film through out the  20th century.

Software

 I’ll be using power point. I’ve used it multiple times in the past for projects, so I have a familiarity with it. If I come across a problem, I’ll try Googleing power point tips or click the help bar on the Power Point Program.

Research

I’m going to go through a book called black firsts to get a list of influential black film projects (film being television or movies). I will Google clips of these individuals’ influences online. Figure out how to put videos onto a power point slide.


Time Line


Wed: Read the book black first and find 10 to 15 influential black performers in film. Google questions such as what are struggles black people have had in film 20th century? What do American films convey about blacks in our society?

Thur: Find clips online and figure out how to incorporate these clips into a power point slide.

Fri: Write up narrative slide that illustrated a performers positive and negative influences and connect the slides with the video clips.

Sat: Continue to connect videos and performers influences

Sun: Summarize power point presentation and figure out how to post it online.

Note: My hopes are to be done by Sunday, but I understand set backs in my research or figuring out the technology could interfere with that deadline. So I won’t be surprised if it’s done by Monday or Tuesday.

Take away
For viewers to be more aware of the struggles blacks have gone through in the 20th century to gain influence and positive, realistic, portrayals of their situation in society.

4 comments:

  1. I really like your idea of what you want to do. I am doing my project of racism too. Do you plan on incorporating music into the project? I plan on doing that because, to me, it seems like it may add to the overall effect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I very much liked your idea as well. Just wondering how you plan to organize it- will it be by how the person is being portrayed or chronological?

    I think it would be interested if you segmented it into different types of characters African Americans have played instead of going down the line chronologically. For example, in PowerPoint, have one slide that says the stereotype such as something like "thieves" and then show video examples of movies where black people have been portrayed as thieves. I think this will really enhance your point. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’ve considered the possibility of using music and examples of white society stereotyping blacks. Does anyone know the general length of this project? For some reason I’m thinking three to five minutes, but I’m not too sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am extremely interested in your finished product. I believe that even though our course has established the disadvantages of being black in America, but I am dying for a first hand account. The reality of being black through the eyes of the beholder. Although, I hope that the video will not have the underlying tone of victimization because we are all victims in one way or another. I hope it will focus on the further empowerment of blacks in America.

    ReplyDelete